I’ve already been in Hangzhou for about three weeks now, and
as you might have noticed from the complete lack of blog posts: I’ve been
really busy. Hangzhou is located in the
Zhejiang province of China, and I’m staying and studying at Zhejiang University
for the remainder of our trip. For the
study portion of this study abroad trip, I am taking two classes: Physical Chemistry
and I’m also getting credit for research I’m doing while abroad. Physical Chemistry has been challenging to
say the least, since we are taking what is usually a 16 week class in 4 weeks. But the research portion of my studies has
been a really cool experience so far.
I’m working in Professor Yu Hongwei’s lab alongside one of his grad
students, Guo Fei, and we are working with making mutant proteins and
determining their enantioselectivity.
Being involved in the lab is not only cool for the scientific techniques
and knowledge I’m learning, but also because I get to really get to know some
Chinese graduate students. Everyone in
the lab is so welcoming and friendly.Out for an afternoon of playing pool with some of the graduate students from my lab!
Other than studying, being in lab all day, and doing copious
amounts of homework, my time spent in Hangzhou so far has made me believe that
it is a beautiful city and a great place to live. On our first weekend in Hangzhou, Dr. Franzen
took us to the Green Tea restaurant, and it has since been a favorite and we
have already been back multiple times.
I’ve become far more adept at using chopsticks in the past few weeks,
and I’ve been trying so many different food dishes that you wouldn’t see in the
US, one of the most surprising being bullfrog.
I’ve heard of people eating frog in France, but it wasn’t something that
I thought of when I thought of Chinese food.
Verdict on bullfrog: really does taste like chicken, only with a
slightly richer taste. Another
interesting dish at Green Tea Restaurant is called ‘Bread Temptation’ in
English, which is basically just a huge
cube of bread cut into smaller pieces with ice cream on top. Sounds weird, tastes delicious. I’ve even
grown to like having tea with dinner – here at restaurants they always give you
very weak tea as a drink with your meal.
I still haven’t been brave enough to try the spicy fish head soup yet
(Dr. Franzen’s favorite), but I’ve definitely been eating my fair share of
Chinese culture.
On top of Physical Chemistry and research, we have also been
having Chinese tutoring sessions twice a week.
Chinese is definitely difficult because there are four different tones you
can use. The same word can have four
different meanings when spoken with a different tone. But I feel like I’m definitely learning. When
we go out to restaurants ordering our food is getting easier because of the
Chinese we are learning, and last night I was able to communicate to the taxi
cab driver about where we wanted to go in Chinese, which made me feel like the
tutoring is starting to pay off. We also
had an additional ‘Cultural Lecture’ this Friday about Chinese calligraphy. One
of Dr. Franzen’s friends is an artist, and she taught us all about Chinese
painting and calligraphy and even let us try it out ourselves. While my painting may have not been a work of
art, seeing how effortlessly she could paint such beautiful pictures and draw
the Chinese characters was amazing.
Tomorrow we are taking a day trip to Shanghai via the bullet
train from Hangzhou, and I am so looking forward to it. I’ll try to write more about Hangzhou and
Shanghai soon!



No comments:
Post a Comment